Anyone have any leftover hot cross buns and have no idea what do do with it, well why not try a quick delicious treat that puts a nice spin on the classic French toast which is perfect for the Easter celebration.
- 120ml of milk
- 60g of caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- finely grated zest of 1/2 a orange
- 3 beaten eggs
- 2tsp of cinnamon
- 4 hot cross bun, split in half
- 3 tbsp butter, to cook with
- Fresh blackberries,blueberries,strawberries,raspberry, sliced bananas or oranges
- Maple syrup
- Creme fraiche or greek yoghurt or vanilla ice cream
1. Beat together the milk and sugar together until sugar has fully dissolved,then beat in eggs, cinnamon, vanilla essence and orange zest.
2. Dip slices of hot cross bun or raisin bread into the liquid to coat both sides. Leave to stand in mixture turning now and then, for at least 5 minutes before cooking.
3. Heat the butter in a frying pan until foaming. Cook the hot cross buns on each side until light golden
4. Serve each portion topped with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of maple syrup, or cwith creme fraiche/ greek yoghurt with some berries on the side if you like.