Don’t throw away your over ripe bananas why not try making some delicious banana cake that everyone will love.
- 250g butter, at room temperature
- 300g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed (about 280g)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 113ml cup hot milk
- 420g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50g butter, at room temperature
- 420g cups icing sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp hot water
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/ Gas mark 4. Line a medium or large cake tin or 12 muffin tins with baking paper
2. Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then vanilla and bananas.
3. Dissolve baking soda in hot milk, add to mixture and stir to combine.
4. Sift in flour and baking powder and fold gently into mixture using a big spoon and a large scooping action to keep the mixture light. Do not over mix.
5. Pour batter into prepared tin and smooth the top when done . Bake until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean . One large cake will take 50-60 minutes, allow 45-55 minutes for medium cakes and about 20 minutes for muffin-sized cakes.
6. Allow to cool in tin and then turn out or place directly into freezer for 45 (this will make cake very moist).
7. Meanwhile to make the Lemon Icing, cream together butter, icing sugar, lemon juice and hot water until creamy. Spread over cake, and enjoy!
Top tip: Sweet, ripe bananas are the key to making a great moist banana cake.